Salvation without Weight



Scripture: Philippians 2:12-18





   Today many Christians have become too comfortable with their salvation as if it’s a gift card that they get to carry around in their back pockets until they need it. After all it is a gift of God. Paul tells us in Philippians 2:12-13 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
    This is where being a Christian gets tough. In this passage Paul is telling us how to live in obedience within the Christian community observing the commands of Christ (Matt. 22:36-40). We as believers must wage war against our own flesh in order to allow God to work through us. God wills and is pleasing in His sight that none is lose but that all come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9, 1 Tim 2:1-6). What makes it tough is that He desires a true repentance and not just lip service.
    Even though Paul is instructing us on living within a Christian Community, God’s work in us will be seen by those of the world. Paul says in

Philippians 2 verses 14-18 14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.

    A Christians’ greatest assess is our obedience to Christ Jesus. But, when we grumble and dispute anything we are being disobedience to Him. We often grumble and dispute because of something that we are dissatisfied with or a problem that we have in our lives. It’s reported that Lou Holtz once said “Never tell your problems to anyone…20% don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them.” While many may find this quote humorous or even true, I tell you that this is why Jesus died; that we may cast our cares upon him and not this crooked world. They don’t care and they are glad that we have them.



    Let us as obedient servants of Christ Jesus show those of the world His rightness, holiness and godliness in us as we live in peace among one another, even if it means having to suffer wrong (1 Cor. 6:1-8). We are the light of the world, the direct representation of Christ Jesus. But what does the world see. Let us be blameless before them as we stand firmly in Christ Jesus. Let us rejoice with one another because when Christ Jesus returns the Father will be pleased.

    As believers in Christ Jesus we have a great responsibility with the Salvation that has been given us and we are not to take it lightly because it carries much WEIGHT.



   I pray that as believers in Christ Jesus we never take our salvation for granted but understand the weight that it carries. I pray with equal concern that we begin to truly live for Christ Jesus by obeying His commands to love God and love others.
                                                                                                                    Pastor Alan